[WriteLog] Serial Ports Again Gasp!

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Serial Ports Again Gasp!
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 13:05:34 -0500
My experiences are similar to Jon's, and he and I have talked much about
them, both here and on the air (there's a concept!).  Writelog AFSK is
irregular in some respects, and we agree that FSK sounds much better and
is even a little quicker for a given buffer.  I have a Rocketport serial
card for the desktop, but it doesn't do FSK 5-bit, so that doesn't help
give me a 2nd port for FSK for a second radio.  So I've done like Jon -
Writelog Soundcard/FSK on one radio, and a HAL DXP38 on the second
radio.

I have recently been beating the bushes trying to find an acceptable USB
serial solution for a new laptop that will at least read my rigs and
control my TNCs, but preferably handle 5-bit Baudot FSK as well.  It
ain't been easy, mostly because I'm not retired, and I have small kids
at home.

Briefly:

White Heat by Connect Tech:  4-port unit is almost $300.  Reads my
IC-706MKIIG and 1000MP fine, and controls the DXP38 OK.  I had 2 FSK
RTTY QSOs with it one night using Writelog in ALT-K (keyboard) mode, so
to that extent, it does 5-bits OK.  However, the buffers wouldn't work
properly - this has to be some kind of timing issue.  Furthermore, MMTTY
FSK wouldn't work with it at all (?).  (I kept this one.)

Belkin:  Loaned to me and then WA0SXV by WB6BIG (thanks) - Read rigs OK;
When I hit ALT-K in Writelog, it would sync idle OK, but buffers
wouldn't work, and as I remember, typed text did not go out properly
either (no QSO made).  (returned)

Targus:  This was a USB device that provides 1 parallel port, 2 PS-2
connections for mouse and keyboard, and one serial port.  This one
wouldn't even read my rig!!  (returned)

Rocketport makes a 4-port USB serial adapter that looks similar to the
White Heat, but less expensive.  I was tempted by that, but I could
never get my Rocketport PCI serial card to read my Icom (although it
WOULD read the MP!), so I decided to keep the White Heat that [almost]
does everything I want correctly.

It just depends exactly what you want to do.  If you can't find another
ham doing exactly the same thing YOU want to do with the same equipment,
I think you're taking a chance, no matter what the specs say (if you can
find spec detail!).

Good luck to all USB-serial hunters!  73
WA9ALS - John
   email:  jfleming@shelbynet.net
homepage:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als
 logbook:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/search.htm