[WriteLog] Which Windows version for Writelog computer?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Which Windows version for Writelog computer?
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 15:27:27 -0500
Basic question - which Windows version is best for upgrade on a ham
computer running WL and occasional other ham programs - 98SE or ME?

The details:

I am still running Win95 (first edition) on the computer I use for ham
stuff. I have been wanting to upgrade parts of it, but the upgrades I want
(optical mouse, for one thing) require Win98 as a minimum.

I can purchase either Win98 second edition or the new Win ME for about the
same price at the local store. The (apparently knowledgeable) clerk advises
that _no_ DOS programs will work under ME, but I noticed at a friend's
house there is a MSDOS box available on the screen of his new ME computer.

What is the real skinny on the differences? I occasionally need to run DOS
programs, so don't want to lose this ability.

This mainly is the WriteLog computer, and I don't want to lose any WL
functions either.

Lastly:

Also - anybody upgraded to ME want to sell their generic version 98SE CD?

Thanks

Jerry Flanders  W4UK