[WriteLog] Which Windows version for Writelog computer?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Which Windows version for Writelog computer?
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:06:07 -0500
FYI:

I was wondering why Win ME is reported to not support DOS programs, yet
clearly has the MS-DOS prompt icon on the screen. I found the excerpts
below at the Microsoft web page:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q275/4/23.asp

There is an additional info page linked from the above.

There is a lot of info there on how to run routine DOS stuff. The problem
apparently occurs only(?) with programs that need to run in "real" mode.
Probably only programs meeding extended memory(?)

Any of you guys who are forced to use ME because it "came with the
computer" might want to be aware of the above page and perhaps bookmark it.

Jerry W4UK
SYMPTOMS

You may experience any of the following symptoms:

An MS-DOS-based program that requires expanded (EMS) memory may not run in
Windows Millennium Edition (Me).

<SNIP>

<SNIP>

CAUSE

There is an EmmExclude or NoEMSDriver statement in your System.ini file, or
your system may have insufficient upper memory blocks available for Windows
to provide EMS memory in Windows. Windows Me does not support loading
Emm386.exe from the Startup disk.

RESOLUTION
To work around this behavior, run your <SNIP>