[WriteLog] Rig Control & PTT

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Rig Control & PTT
From: rcommo@ricochet.net (Rick Commo)
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 10:07:16 -0800
My FT-920 works wonderfully on just once COMM port for everything.  Here
what I did...

(1) I picked up a 6 foot modem cable for $7 at the local computer store.
The cable has a DB-9F connector at one end and a DB-9M at the other.  It was
wired 1:1.  NOTE! Either a "modem" or "null-modem" cable will work since you
end up cutting the cable and rewiring the two ends.  The big thing is to
have the corrector connector sexes.

(2) The cable was cut into two pieces approximately 12 inches from the DB-9M
end (radio end).

(3) I purchased the 2x3 inch plastic project box from Radio Shack.  If I
make another one I would get the next longer size and I recommend that you
do!  Working with the 2x3 inch box was tight.

(4) I drilled a small hole in both ends of the box just large enough to pass
the cable through.  I left it very tight on purpose so that I could then put
a tie-wrap on the cable ends inside of the box to keep them from slipping
out.  On the radio end I also drilled holes for and mounted an RCA
phono-jack (for PTT) and 3.5MM (1/8") mono-jack.  The choice of which jacks
to use is up to you.

(5) Next I wired up a small perf-board with two opto-isolator circuits for
the PTT and CW.  Shown below is a crude schematic of each circuit.  The
input (computer) end is shown on the left.

                                .--------------.
                                |              |
DTR/RTS  >------[R1]---+--------+ (1)      (5) +------- CW/PTT
                       |   _    |              |
                      [D1] ^    |     4N33     |
                       |        |              |
computer >-------------+--------+ (2)      (4) +------- radio
ground                          |              |        ground
                                `--------------'

R1 is a 560 ohms, 1/4 watt resistor and D1 is any old silicon signal diode
such as a 1N918 or 1N4148.

(6) Here are the connections

+--------+-------+-------+
| Signal | DB-9F | DB-9M |
+--------+-------+-------+
| xmit   |   2   |   2   |
+--------+-------+-------+
| rcv    |   3   |   3   |
+--------+-------+-------+
+--------+-------+-------+
| RTS    |   7   |xxxxxxx| to "PTT" opto-isolator

My total cost outlay for the cable was probably in the 20/30 dollar range
when all was said and done.

Hope this helps.  If anyone wants a copy of my hand drawn schematic and some
picture of the cable (printed on computer paper) feel free to send my an
SASE.  My address is in the call book.

Cheers and Happy New Year to all,
-ricK1log/7