[WriteLog] ARRL Round up Setup

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] ARRL Round up Setup
From: aa5au@msn.com (Don Hill)
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:22:52 -0600
The only stupid question is the one not asked.

OK, many users are not aware of this.  It has come up quite a few times.
You must use Lower Sideband with WriteLog when using a sound card
for PSK31 or RTTY using audio instead of on/off (FSK) keying.

Contrary to popular belief, PSK31 can be run on either LSB or USB and
it makes no difference in making contacts with any other PSK31 station.

OK, now go to the BANDS menu in the main WriteLog window and click
your mouse on LSB IS REALLY FSK.  Now your 59 should change to 599
automatically.

The reason for this is quite simple.  Since WriteLog is also a SSB contest
program, you must tell it you are running PSK31 or RTTY instead of SSB.
By clicking LSB IS REALLY FSK on, you also allow the F keys to work as
RTTY/PSK buffers.  Otherwise, when you hit an F key, it will ask you for a
.wav file because it thinks you are operating SSB.

Good luck everyone.  I have finished setting up my station for the Roundup.
After months of preparation I am ready (oh, I'm sure I'll find some other small
detail to tend to before the start tomorrow).  The last addition was a set of
stubs.  One cut at 23' and shorted at the end.  This stub is installed on the
15/40 meter station.  The other is a 23' open ended stub that is installed on
my 10/20 meter station.  The main purpose was to reduce RFI on 20M receive
when transmitting on 40M.  Even with Dunestar filters, I was getting S5 noise
on 20M when transmitting on 40M.  The noise has been reduced to S2-3
which I believe to be a significant improvement.  The stubs also provide better
isolation between all the other bands except 80 where I must remove the
stub off the 10/20 station to work 80M.

Marty, NW0L, has reduced RFI significantly with newly made stubs of the
same length at his QTH.

I'll be running a 3rd radio on 10 meters only when the 10/20/80 radio is on
20 meters.  So it'll be SO3R for me this weekend including having two of the
radios capable of doing PSK31.

ARE YOU READY TO RUMBLE?????

Let's get it on!!!

73, Don AA5AU