[WriteLog] USB Hub entrega (xircom) multiport and IC 706 MKIIG

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] USB Hub entrega (xircom) multiport and IC 706 MKIIG
From: jfleming@shelbynet.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:30:44 -0500
Sounds like RFI to me.  I used a USB hub on North Caicos.  I had a USB
mouse and a Belkin serial adapter (for rig control) attached to it.
When I first started using it, it sat on a shelf near an amp.  It would
shut down unpredictably during transmissions.  I finally found a cure in
just moving it farther down the shelf and having the involved wires
running on the front side of the operating table instead of draped down
the backside with coax and all other cables.

Nope, none of us has found a USB serial adapter that will do 5-bit
Baudot FSK successfully.  The White Heat adapter by Connect Tech has
been the closest thing - It WILL send FSK if you hold your mouth just
right, but it will not work properly with Writelog (NOT Writelog's
problem!).  Seems like the USB serial adapter manufacturers and software
drivers have only implemented a portion of the RS-232 standard(s).  GL
John - VP5RY - VP5/WA9ALS - WA9ALS