[WriteLog] Using MMTTY as a KAM TNC

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Using MMTTY as a KAM TNC
From: jflanders2@home.com (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:45:59 -0500
Need help - I can't get MMTTY's KAM emulation working between MMTTY and
WriteLog.

DETAILS:

The excellent design of MMTTY has provided for the use of it's RTTY decoder
algorithms as an external modem. Two modem types are provided for in the
stock MMTTY - the KAM and a TNC241.

I have MMTTY running OK and am trying to use its KAM emulation on a second
computer while the first computer is running WriteLog. I have the computers
connected properly, and can read the MMTTY's KAM ack signals on a copy of
Hyperterminal running on the WL computer, so I know my cable, both ports,
and MMTTY are working OK.

When I tell WL that a KAM is on this port, it tries to initialize the KAM
and put the KAM in "host" mode.  WL fails at this and then cannot seem to
communicate with the "KAM" at all.

Perhaps MMTTY's KAM emulation is only partial? How can I get it working?

Sure would be nice if MMTTY also provided a "dumb terminal" mode which
simply passes along the baudot.

Jerry W4UK