[WriteLog] Suggestions....

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Suggestions....
From: ea3gip@ea3gip.net (Fidel Leon Martin)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 17:45:48 +0100

On 23/02/2001 at 8:13 Jay wrote:

>At 04:05 PM 2/23/01 +0100, Fidel Leon Martin wrote:
>>      -The spot window is very nice with the new colours, but in the ARRL was
>almost unusable... Not only you get out-of-band spots (altought in
>different colours, a little improvement btw), you even get spots *not*
>usable in the test, as I am not interested at all in getting spots not in K
>You need to change the band segments to suit yourself.  Contest Operators
>and cluster users need to learn how to filter spots. Its easy to filter out
>that which you don't want.  DXTelnet users have this feature as well.

        Using DXTelnet just to correct spot filtering? Another piece of
software? Just for the spots? Great! Looks like time to develop another module
for WL...

        And two points:

        -Setting band segments in a CW test??? Humm.... I thought CW was
allowed in EVERY ham frequency... so it is in EA. And I don't want to miss
anobody in a contest just because *my software* asks me to filter by frequency!

        -I'd like to know how can I instruct my cluster server to filter spots
*by DX QTH location*... I use three clusters (one with PacketCluster and two
with CLX): I can't filter for DX QTH location in two of them, and I just can
filter for announcer QTH location in the other, and that, being better, leaves
unsolved that some K and VE stations announce K and VE stations... and I would
miss them!

        Sorry, but I will *never* understand what are those LF, VHF and UHF
spots right there ("hey, you, CT user, don't laugh at me, my software is great
[AND OF COURSE IS!]") if I don't need them for the contest.

        As a programmer, it would be like "Hey, you just need clients from
Iowa, I know... Yes, I have given you Ohio clients too, I know.... Just close
your eyes a bit, the OH people would desappear! Is that simple, isn't it?"

>Contact your LOCAL cluster operator for some assistance on the filter
>ability of the cluster.

        HELP SET/FILTER gives me what I need, but WL don't. Looks like time to
resign about it, I've been asking for (sorry, suggesting) a better cluster
processing from WL for almost two years, but the reply is:

        -As I use Writelog, I should say to the cluster SysOp: "Hey, man,
please upgrade YOUR system, as I use Writelog as the Contest software".

        -As I use Writelog, I must change my filters each contest week-end, and
resetting them to the former values.

        Hands down about it... Hope to work anybody not being filtering out by
WL in upcoming contests. 73!

Fidel Leon - EA3GIP
E-Mail: ea3gip@ea3gip.net
http://www.ea3gip.net