[WriteLog] Hex Beams

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Hex Beams
From: sdyer@interlogue.com (Steve Dyer)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:17:46 -0800
I purchased a Hex HX-5B last September. It is mounted on a Radio Shack push
up pole using a Channel Master rotor. The top element is at 30'. Total cost
of the system including Davis RF coax was below $1200. The performance has
been outstanding! I do live on a salt water lagoon, so that may help (full
disclosure!).

I feel the Hex beats any other 2 element beam/quad (including the Force 12
C-3's) and stands up to most 3 element tri-banders. The HX-5B also covers 12
and 17. I have several stations close by with much larger antennas and I can
hear and work everything they can and sometimes beat them out. The Hex is
very quiet compare to other beams I have used.

As I upgraded from a GAP vertical, the difference was amazing. It has
completely changed my outlook on Ham radio. I've worked over 100 countries
since I got the beam bringing my total up to 240.

The Hex has played very well in contesting as well. Mind you, I am no
superstation, but with 600 watts out of the AL-811H, I can run and maintain
a frequency on CW and RTTY.

Mike Traffie has also been a real pleasure to work with. When manufacturing
was delayed a few days, he picked up the overnight charges to make sure I
got the beam in time for a contest.

The Hex is the perfect antenna if you have space limitations or a looking
for a low visibility installation. While cost was not a factor with me, the
Hex is probably the best value antenna system you can get when you factor in
the savings of not having to use a tower and heavy duty rotor.

In fact, we are planning on getting another Hex with the portable support
Traffie sells for DXpeditions.

Overall I rate it A++.

Be sure to see the review by the late Lew McCoy. He raved about the Hex.

Please contact me if you want to discuss any further.

Best 73,

Steve
W1SRD