[WriteLog] Hex Beams - Results

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Hex Beams - Results
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 04:03:34 -0600
I received 15 replies and thanks to everyone that did reply.  Of those 15,
only 4 actually used one and only two own one (the HX5-B).  Of the two
that own one, they like it very much and say it works extremely well.

Steve, W1RSD, had some excellent comments on his that he posted.

All the other replies were from those who knew someone who owned one
or had read reviews of these antennas.  They all stated that those they
knew or what they had read, all had positive things to say about the antenna
(except the cost maybe).

I don't feel there was enough feedback to warrant me having any serious
thought of purchasing one for myself.  My A3S with the 40M add-on
works very well on my 60' tower.  But on my other tower, I have a WARC
A3WS with the 30M add-on kit rotatable at the top (55'), then have a 2nd
A3S (3 band only) fixed at 20 degrees at 45 ft.

For SO2R contesting, I'm stuck with a 2nd tribander that is fixed in one
direction.  It works great in that direction and probably 80% of the world's
hams are in that direction, but I feel I need another rotatable antenna.  It
would be great if the HX5-B was as good or better than an A3S and A3WS,
but I have my doubts.  I need something very lightweight and small because
I don't have much room and do all my tower work by myself (with a ground
person of course).

The nice things about the A3S and A3WS is that I can put them on my shoulder
and walk up the tower with them (or down the tower in case of a hurricane!).

The only other solution I can see if to get a ring-type rotor for a Rohn 25
tower,
but I understand they are very expensive unless anyone has any other ideas?

Again, thanks for the replies and sorry if I didn't respond directly to each
reply.
Your input was appreciated.

CU in the NCJ RTTY Sprint this weekend.

73, Don AA5AU