[WriteLog] PK-900 Setup Information

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PK-900 Setup Information
From: k0ms@gte.net (The Shelton Family)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 04:18:36 -0000
Hi,

My name is Mark, KØMS, and I'm a new WriteLog user. My only concern in upgrading
to WriteLog was would it work with my legacy AEA PK-900 TNC? Fortunately the
answer is yes. I thought I'd share my solution since I've seen questions
regarding PK-900 setup in this reflector's archives, but no answers. Here's what
I did to get the thing to work...

PK-900/WriteLog Packet Window Setup

1.  Set up the parameters of the com port connected to the PK-900 in the
WriteLog.ini (e.g., "COM1:=9600,n,8,1,").

2. Power on and reset PK-900. This puts the TNC into a known state and defaults
port 1 to modem 11 (FSK 1200 bps 1000, 1200/2200) and port 2 to modem 4
(Internal 1000, 1200/2200).

3. Start WriteLog, setup your contest, and open the Packet Window.

4. Choose the applicable com port from the File menu of the Packet Window.

5. In the Packet Window, type an asterisk to start the PK-900 autobaud routine.

6. Assuming the PK-900 was properly reset in step 2 of this procedure, execute
the following PK-900 command sequence via the Packet Window to initialize the
PK-900 for DX cluster operation. Text strings delimited by < and > are run-time
variables. The user must specify the applicable call signs for his
configuration:

    a. MYCALL <your call sign>/<your call sign>
    b. RADIO 0/2
    c. EXPERT ON
    d. UBIT 19 OFF
    e. CHSWITCH $7C
    f. |A
    g. C <cluster call sign>

The PK-900 is now in converse mode and will post and accept DX spots. The
following command will terminate the session:

    h. D

PK-900/WriteLog RTTY Window Setup

1.  Set up the parameters of the com port connected to the PK-900 in the
WriteLog.ini (e.g., "COM1:=9600,n,8,1,"). Additionally, set up the TNC
initialization commands in the WriteLog.ini file to set up the PK-900 for RTTY
operation.  Text strings delimited by < and > are run-time variables.  The user
must specify the applicable call signs for his configuration:

    a. TncInit1=*
    b. TncInit2=MYCALL <your call sign>/<your call sign>
    c. TncInit3=RADIO 1/0
    d. TncInit4=EXPERT ON
    e. TncInit5=UBIT 19 OFF

2. Power on and reset PK-900. This puts the TNC into a known state and defaults
port 1 to modem 11 (FSK 1200 bps 1000, 1200/2200) and port 2 to modem 4
(Internal 1000, 1200/2200).

3. Start WriteLog, setup your contest, and open the RTTY Window.

4. Choose the applicable com port from the File menu of the RTTY Window.

5. Choose PK-232 from the TU Type menu of the RTTY Window.

6. Start contesting.

PK-900 users should recognize what I did. I essentially disabled the port
designators of monitored data and the unused radio port in my application. Once
this is done, the PK-900 appears to behave (so far as I can tell) very much like
any other TNC for VHF packet or the PK-232 for RTTY. This RTTY setup worked
without problems for the NAQP contest this past weekend.

Sorry for the lengthy message to the reflector. I hope I haven't broken any
rules of reflector etiquette. I'll control myself better next time.

73 de Mark, KØMS
k0ms@bitbucket.gte.net (remove bit bucket from my e-mail address to respond
directly)