[WriteLog] More Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More Networking
From: Robert.Turner@ibx.com (Turner, Robert D. Jr)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 11:53:15 -0400
This is only an overview.  I don't have time to go into all the details.

Leave writelog out of the equation until you can have each computer access
the others hard drive.  Make sure you can copy files back and forth from
both computers.

The devices that are going to talk together have to be running a common
protocol.  If you use NETBEUI, the only configuration is giving the PCs a
name. If you use TCP/IP you need valid IP addresses and subnet masks.   If a
router is involved, you will need its IP address as well.  Since TCP/IP is
the only protocol both boxes have in common, that is the protocol that will
be used.  You can do without DNS if both hosts are on the same subnet, as
they will do a broadcast to find each other.  Broadcasts do not go through a
router, so if you have a router, you also need DNS Server running.

If you are going to use TCP/IP.  Make sure basic connectivity is working by
pinging the other host.  Either by name (which needs a functioning DNS
server) or by IP address.

In addition to having a common protocol and having networking setup, each
box needs security access to the other. IE: a valid username and password.
In addition, these accounts must be granted access to the appropriate
shares.  If you are accessing an administrative share ($), you need
administrative access.

Write access is needed to a share if you are going to write files.  Write
access implies read access.

Bob