[WriteLog] More Networking

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] More Networking
From: jpixton@shentel.net (Jerry Pixton)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 10:40:37 +0000
To the network experts ---

I hate to join the thread about Networking but here is my observation
yesterday in getting a backup copy of my log running on my second computer.

Can someone explain this observation and how to correct it?????

My new computer is running Win2000 and has only TCP/IP for a network
protocol. My portable runs Win2000 and has both TCP/IP and NetBEUI for
network protocols.

I set up user accounts on both machines per help files (which are not too
useful in telling you how to set up a user account or what permissions are
needed???  I guess if we are going to keep logs in sync that "write"
permissions are needed???)

Now with WriteLog 10.27G running on both computers, I can tell each to
"register to accept connections"

Then if I try to link from the portable to the main computer, I get a
request for a User/Password - except it will not recognize the user account
I set up. Says wrong password. I can connect however, using my
Administrator account?????

But from the main computer to the portable, when I request a connection it
just does it - no request for user/password.

So it looks like I have a half duplex link using the NetBEUI interface on
the portable????? The TCP/IP link from the portable to the main computer
will not set up with any user except Administrator?????

Jerry, W6IHG

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton@shentel.net