[WriteLog] Re: Wanted: packet spot tricks etc.

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: Wanted: packet spot tricks etc.
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:09:49 -0400
Well, the contest is over, hope everyone had a good time.  The bandmap
was a lifesaver, didn't bother to use any packet spot filtering, which
allowed me to see what was going on on the "other" bands, including the
AL and TX QSO parties.

Here is a summary of the stuff that W2UP and K9YY sent me.  Scot has a
lot of good stuff on his website http://www.k9jy.com/ if you haven't
seen it already.

73 - Jim AD1C

*  Can the frequency range for spots be narrowed?  I.e. I'd prefer not
    to see CW or SSB spots in the window, only RTTY spots.

    o [W2UP] In an AR-Cluster you can set filters for RTTY. Otherwise,
      expand your bandmap using pixelsperkhz in WL.ini so 30-40 Khz takes
      up most of the screen length. As long as you're tuned in the 60-100
      range, you won't see the other stuff anyway.

    o [K9JY] If you're using DX-Telnet, it's easy, just include the
      frequency ranges you want. If it's just the node and WriteLog, I
      think you need to narrow it at the node so it doesn't come in.
      Editing the Sub-bands in WriteLog just won't let you count 'out of
      band' contacts in the log or let you click 'out of band' on a spot.

*  How does one put out a spot?  Yeah, yeah, read the manual.  I will,
    but I won't be home until just before the contest starts.

    o [W2UP] Same as CT. ALT-F3

    o [K9JY] Just like CT - Alt-F3 presents you the window with the call
      from the Entry field and the frequency from your radio. You can put
      in comments too.

*  I haven't played with the band map but I will want to.

    o [K9JY] This will auto fill with the packet spots. If you want to
      put one there without a spot, program one of the function keys with
      '%B' and pressing it will put the callsign from the Entry field
      into the band map. Also, if you want have more real estate with the
      narrow RTTY ranges so it holds more calls in a given space, there
      is a WriteLog.ini entry that you can make to widen or narrow the
      amount shown in a given space. I don't remember it off the top of
      my head, but it's on my web site under 'WriteLog Windows' and then
      select 'Band Map.'

*  Any other tricks that are good to know?  Like in CT, you can bounce
    back-and-forth between your RUN frequency and a particular spot using
    the same key (ALT-F4), is there similar functionality in Writelog?

    o [W2UP] No, you need to use F12 to get back to your run freq. Even
      w/CT, sometimes I screwed up and lost it (forgot ALT F5), so if I'm
      in "bouncing around mode" I tend top save my run freq in VFO B just
      in case.

    o [K9JY] The best way to do this is keep the Search and Pounce window
      open. When you find a spot and hear the pileup and want to come
      back to it, save it in the window by clicking on the "STO" button
      for 'store' and WL will take whatever you have in the Call Entry
      Window and store it. When you want to come back to it, click on the
      "RCL" button for 'recall' and WL puts the information back in the
      Call Entry Window, moves your radio, etc. Then you can go back to
      your run frequency with F12. You can store three calls with the
      default window.

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com