[WriteLog] Questions - New user

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Questions - New user
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 20:17:16 -0500
> 1.  In the Rttyrite "60 wpm Baudot - Rttyrite" window (the one that
displays
> the received, sent text) under "Ports" there is a list of ports.
>
> What do these ports do?

They are used to send PTT and FSK keying to the rig.  (NOT AFSK)

> (I use a Kenwood 930S, so don't use radio control, but I do have the PTT
> wired to port 5.  Checking port 5 on this list keys the rig, but the RTTY
> audio does not appear on the mic input.  I had to check port=none and use
> the Vox to key the rig.)

What "TNC" do you have checked?  You need one of the AFSK soundboard choices
if you are outputing to your mic.  If you use FSK keying to your rig's RTTY
input for Baudot, then you would choose FSK soundboard as the TNC, and the
Baudot appears on the TxD pin of the designated COM port (as well as PTT on
RTS).

> 2.  For a later CW contest:  I can't seem to get WriteLog to produce CW
> audio from the keyboard.  In fact the "CW Keyboard Alt+K" is gray no
matter
> how I seem to set "Ports" under "Setup."  I tried everything else I could
> think of.
>
> What did I miss?

Again, did you tell it to use the soundboard DVK in the Setup|Ports menu?

And finally, look at www.k9jy.com for a bunch of WL info.  73