[WriteLog] Reflector diarrhea

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Reflector diarrhea
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:21:48 -0400
Uh oh. Finally a public posting about what many of us have been e-
mailing each other back and forth about and joking about for the
last month or two.

There is an individual on this reflector whose reflex action, when
something goes awry, is to send a note to the reflector asking for
help.  This individual has already made over 80 posts to the
reflector this month. Compare that with someone like Don, AA5AU,
who is always one of the first to jump in with a helpful reply. Ten
posts this month from Don.

While I don't want to come across as a member of the reflector
police, perhaps some constructive comments are in order. There
are very few pieces of software that are so intuitive, they work "right
out of the box" without reading any documentation.
1. Read the Help files. Yes, it can be hard to find things in there.
Try several key words, if the first one doesn't work. You are likely
to find a link to take you to the right place.
2. If you can't find what you want in the main section of the help
file, look in the writelog.ini docs in the Appendix. Each
configuration line is explained, line by line.
3. Try Scott's excellent site, www.k9jy.com
4. If all else fails, then post to the reflector. In general, I, like many
others, am willing to help. However, when an individual has a
pattern of appearing to make no effort on his (or her) own to find a
solution, I (as I presume many others) am less likely to respond
and address that problem.

73,
Barry