[WriteLog] Reflector diarrhea

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Reflector diarrhea
From: jon@praxisworks.org (Jon Harder)
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 18:35:39 -0000
I've been holding back from commenting on this problem for several weeks.
Instead,  I quickly set the Blocked Senders List tool in Outlook Express to
consign these posts to the Deleted Items folder without even bothering to
read them anymore.   I've also admired the courtesy with which others have
attempted to respond,  and the restraint they've shown.

In addition to Barry's well-chosen words, I'd add these:

1. In some places in this world,  e-mail still has to be paid for by the
recipient -- dial-up connect time is precious and too valuable to waste.
Those without unlimited connect time, or who must pay long-distance charges
for access are rightly unhappy about gratuitous postings wasting bandwidth.
Yes, the Delete key works, but the money has already been wasted.  (I have
24 hr cable service, but friends in some parts of Europe and rural US can
hear the meter running.)

2.  Computers can be complicated enough without  inaccurate, ill-informed,
and potentially harmful information being circulated in the guise of help.
How blessed are they who know what they don't know, and if they have nothing
to say,  don't  say it anyway.

Thanks to all on this list whose helpful and informed posts make WL so
enjoyable in many modes.

73,

Jon         K1US