Fwd: [Re: [WriteLog] More re XP Upgrade Issues]

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Fwd: [Re: [WriteLog] More re XP Upgrade Issues]
From: ac5aa@usa.net (Duane Calvin)
Date: 7 Nov 2001 00:28:47 CST

------NetAddressPart-00--=_ggCv5264S09529d8e48

My reason for upgrading was to move my relatively new 1 GHz Athlon machin=
e off
WindowsME which has proven to be the worst Win9x op sys I've ever run. =

Constant blue-screens, and it took forever to get a set of drivers for th=
nVidia graphics board it came with that would not cause problems.  I've u=
sed
Win2000Pro on my laptop at work and have been very happy with its stabili=
ty
and resistance to lockups/hangs/fails.  I was almost first in line to get=
 XP
and have been very happy with it.  =

By the way, the magazine editorials (I subscribe to most of them since I =
work
in the computer industry) were about moving your business applications fr=
om
Win2000 to WinXP.  Since XP is Win2000 with added compatibility for much =
of
the home and gaming software/hardware, there is no real reason for most
businesses to consider upgrading.  However, almost every review says that=
 if
you're running Win9x of any flavor, and your system can support WinXP (~5=
00
MHz or faster and 128MB memory minimum) then moving to XP is a no-brainer=
=2E  As
hams, we have a possible compatibility problem with the change in the par=
allel
port, but, otherwise I've found it to be a much needed improvement.  But,=
 like
someone just mentioned, if you're happy with your system on the earlier
Windows systems, don't move!  =

Hope this tempers some of the earlier messages about there being no reaso=
n to
upgrade.  'Tain't so for everyone - hi!

   73, Duane =

Duane Calvin, AC5AA