[WriteLog] PK232

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] PK232
From: gbaron@home.com (Gil Baron)
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:03:08 -0600
--=====================_167460996==_.ALT

At 08:27 11/15/2001, k2qmf@juno.com wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I don't know about waterfalls and easy click however,
>I use a PK232 with WL and it is connected to a TS-940
>in true FSK mode. It works great!  RX is very sharp and clean.
>It is easy to pick out weak signals in FSK mode.

The problem is that you have no spectrum view of all the signals and you
must manually tune the signal to the pass band where the RS232 is set. With
MMTTY and other spectrum DSP programs you simply click on the spectrum on
the signal and the radio is automatically and instantly put on frequency.
That alone is reason enough to give up or FSK. You also cannot use AFC
since you cannot vary the audio tone, (you have no audio tone to vary ) to
follow the other signal. Not a big deal on RTTY but on  FSK is often very
important.

>73,  Ted  K2QMF
>
>On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:01:02 -0800 Jim Smith <jimsmith@home.com> writes:
> > Hi Gil,
> >
> > The Timewave site does mention using AFSK cables with the upgraded
> > unit.  Doesn't say what that means, though.
> > >
> > > I agree that if you have a PK232 that you might wish to use it
> > > except that FSK is really an ancient form of connection. With
> > > FSK you cannot use the easy click on the waterfall and the easy
> > > AFC and such.
> >

> > I gather you mean RTTYRITE.  I find RITTY to be pretty good and
> > certainly much better than RTTYRITE.  Then again, RTTYRITE came
> > with WL and got me back into RTTY (sure do miss those green keys,
> > though).  RITTY costs about the same as WL as I recall.
> >
> > > I also agree that the RITTY is not very good at all.
> > >

> > 73, Jim  VE7FO

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_167460996==_.ALT

At 08:27 11/15/2001, k2qmf@juno.com wrote:<br>
I don't know about waterfalls and easy click however,<br>
I use a PK232 with WL and it is connected to a TS-940<br>
in true FSK mode. It works great!&nbsp; RX is very sharp and clean.<br>
It is easy to pick out weak signals in FSK mode.<br>
The problem is that you have no spectrum view of all the signals and you
must manually tune the signal to the pass band where the RS232 is set.
With MMTTY and other spectrum DSP programs you simply click on the
spectrum on the signal and the radio is automatically and instantly put
on frequency.<br>
That alone is reason enough to give up or FSK. You also cannot use AFC
since you cannot vary the audio tone, (you have no audio tone to vary )
to follow the other signal. Not a big deal on RTTY but on&nbsp; FSK is
often very important.<br><br>
On Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:01:02 -0800 Jim Smith &lt;jimsmith@home.com&gt;
writes:<br>
&gt; Hi Gil,<br>
&gt;&nbsp; <br>
&gt; The Timewave site does mention using AFSK cables with the
upgraded<br>
&gt; unit.&nbsp; Doesn't say what that means, though.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; I agree that if you have a PK232 that you might wish to use
it<br>
&gt; &gt; except that FSK is really an ancient form of connection.
With<br>
&gt; &gt; FSK you cannot use the easy click on the waterfall and the
easy<br>
&gt; &gt; AFC and such.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; I gather you mean RTTYRITE.&nbsp; I find RITTY to be pretty good
and<br>
&gt; certainly much better than RTTYRITE.&nbsp; Then again, RTTYRITE
came<br>
&gt; with WL and got me back into RTTY (sure do miss those green
keys,<br>
&gt; though).&nbsp; RITTY costs about the same as WL as I recall.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; &gt; I also agree that the RITTY is not very good at all.<br>
&gt; &gt; <br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; 73, Jim&nbsp; VE7FO<br>
&gt; WriteLog mailing list<br>