[WriteLog] SIIG Card 4 Port PCI Card

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] SIIG Card 4 Port PCI Card
From: rthorne@tcac.net (Richard Thorne)
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:19:23 -0600
GM Tom:

I'm also copying the reflector as I had a few other requests for info.

Heres the info:

SIIG Madge Quartet Serial 16550 PCI I/O Card

CDW Part # 218077  89.83

It can be ordered at http://www.cdw.com (no interest in the company)

I just did a quick test.  I am able to communicate with my rig on com1
which is on the computer motherboard and com 2,3 and 4 which is on the
SIIG card, using Writelog.  When I installed the card it some how
labeled my motherboard com2 as com5 which makes the 4th position on the
SIIG card com6.  I beleive there is a fix for this, but I have not
messed around with it.  I don't believe this card will support fsk. If
your interested in that you will have to use one of your on board com
ports for that.

TRX-Manager is already setup for com1 through com16.   I used that
program to test all the serial ports for rig control and they all work.

The card comes with a nifty cable set.  One end plugs into the card the
other end has 4 pig tails on it for the 4 additional com ports.  That
makes it much easier for connections.  Plus the pig tails are labeled
1s,2s,3s and 4s for easy identification.

I purchased the card so I would have additional com ports for my remote
controlled station.  TRX-Manager has a nifty remote setup where you can
use TNC's or the internet for control.  This will allow me to sit at
home and use my tower and antennas at the office where they don't bother
anyone.  I'll be able to control the rig, turn the rotors change
antennas ect.  I was using the Kachina 505dsp previously for this, but I
really like my 1000mp for its wide range of features.

Anyways, thats more than you probably wanted to know.

--
Richard Thorne - N5ZC
Amarillo, TX