[WriteLog] Curious?? (long)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Curious?? (long)
From: ei8ic@eircom.net (Tim Makins, EI8IC)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:46:24 -0000
Hi John - I lurk on this reflector, because I'm interested in how Writelog
works with SO2R. I also lurk on the reflectors for CT, NA, TR, and SD. You
might be interested to know that the Writelog reflector generates 3 or 4
times as much email as any of the others, mainly of people asking for help.
On that basis alone, I would say that assuming the program is not full of
bugs, then the documentation MUST be. If people have problems, then either
the program is not simple enough to use, or the Help guide does not explain
itself well enough, or the documentation is inadequate. The usual problem
here is that the documentation is written by the author, who forgets that he
knows half the stuff, and assumes his readers will as well. I have seen this
frequently in a number of major software packages. I am sure you have too.

If it is the only Windows contesting program of its kind, then that's a
pity, because there's no incentive to make things work better. At the end of
the day, software should be there to assist us, not make us pull our hair
out, as many of the correspondents seem to be doing. Things have moved on
from the days of the '386, and we've all got Megabytes of memory available
that should be used to help the user. Doesn't seem to be happening here,
does it ?

If I was a prospective purchaser of Writelog, and lurked on the reflector
for a while, I would be scared silly by the correspondence, and would NOT
buy the program.

In my book, a good program has a silent reflector. End of story.

Tim, EI8IC
www.qsl.net/ei8ic/
The European HF Contesting Website
Recent winner of the 'DX Zone' Editors choice Award.