[WriteLog] bandwith for rtty

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] bandwith for rtty
From: JDY18@aol.com (JDY18@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:25:22 EST
In a message dated 1/13/02 9:16:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,

<< Subj:     Re: [WriteLog] bandwith for rtty
To: <writelog@contesting.com>
 Date:  1/13/02 9:16:05 AM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  alanc@indyweb.net (Alan Curson)
 To:    wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John), JDY18@aol.com,
Writelog@contesting.com

 Jay same setup here more or less.  I experience the same issues with trying
 to isolate the weaker signals using the .5 filter.  I have just suspected
 that they are too narrow to tune effectively with just MMTTY software.

 John the AF Out is a jack on the back of the rig.  It is a "low level
 receiver output for recording or external amplification."  (From the manual)
 The peak level is 100mVrms at 600 ohms.  It is not affected by the AF
 control on the front panel but is affected by the digital fil controls on
 the front.

 > > I have four filters on the radio. I found that I could copy consistently
 > > using the widest (2.4K) filter, generally OK using the 2.0K filter, and
 > not
 > > at all with the narrower (.5 and .25) filters. This meant that I could
 not
 > > isolate any of the weaker signals.
 >
 > Does the FT-990 allow the use of narrow filters in LSB mode?  If not,
 that's
 > it.  Funny, the 1000MP did allow that, but the newer MARK-V 1000MP does
 not.
 > If this is the problem, use the PACKET jack - That one should've been
 > labeled AFSK instead of PACKET!  Then press the PKT button on the from and
 > you'll be set to use the narrow filters.
 >
 > You mention "AF out", but you don't say where you're getting it from.

Thanks to WA9ALS (John) for his tip. The simple solution seems to be to set
the mode on the FT990 to PKT-LSB instead of LSB. This allows the use of the
narrow filters. (I've made notes on settings so I will know what to do the
next time there is an RTTY contest, instead of having to reinvent the wheel
each time).

73 de Jay