[WriteLog] LPT on Windows XP

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] LPT on Windows XP
From: k3pp@ptd.net (Glenn O'Donnell, K3PP)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 17:25:15 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C1A045.17945830

Santa brought me a new computer to replace my tired old logging computer =
(66 MHz 486 for those old enough to remember them!).  The new one is a =
screamer and runs Windows XP.  Being an old Unix guy, I'm finally =
beginning to have some respect for Win-Doze.  Now that I have something =
capable of running WriteLog to its potential, I bought WL.  So far, it =
looks fantastic, but I'm still learning and wiring cables from the sound =
card.

I understand and applaude the way Win NT/2K/XP deal with LPT ports, but =
I still want to use the LPT port to control my Top-Ten Devices DX =
Doubler for SO2R.  I tried the evaluation version of the Direct IO =
driver, as recommended on the WL web site, but it still doesn't seem to =
work as advertised.  I'll gladly pay the $29.00 for the production =
driver if I can get the eval to work.  Of course, I'd prefer if WL could =
drive LPT port accessories without third-party drivers.  We old CT/NA/TR =
veterans have a lot of gadgets that use these signals for station =
automation.

I configured Direct IO to allow WL to get to LPT1.  I even tried =
disabling the default LPT driver, to no avail.  The Direct IO utilities =
seem to suggest that the driver is there and accessible.  Why can't WL =
see the LPT port?

AN ALTERNATIVE?
It appears WL can actually eliminate much of the need for a DX Doubler =
or Array Solutions SO2R Master, but I don't know how to switch CW keying =
across the two radios without an external switch device.  RTTY and SSB =
can be done SO2R without the DXD.  Maybe I just need to dig more to =
learn how to do CW.  RTTY and SSB can key each XCVR independently, using =
VOX, but CW annd PTT seem tied to one COM port only.  Someone please =
correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later as I keep digging into this.  =
Hopefully, I'll eventually have some answers for the next generation of =
WL neophytes!

VY 73 de Glenn K3PP

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C1A045.17945830

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Santa brought me a new computer to =
replace my tired=20
old logging computer (66 MHz 486 for those old enough to remember =
them!).&nbsp;=20
The new one is a screamer and runs Windows XP.&nbsp; Being an old Unix =
guy, I'm=20
finally beginning to have some respect for Win-Doze.&nbsp; Now that I =
have=20
something capable of running WriteLog to its potential, I bought =
WL.&nbsp; So=20
far, it looks fantastic, but I'm still learning and wiring cables from =
the sound=20
card.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I understand and applaude the way Win =
NT/2K/XP deal=20
with LPT ports, but I still want to use the LPT port to control my =
Top-Ten=20
Devices DX Doubler for SO2R.&nbsp; I tried the evaluation version of the =
Direct=20
IO driver, as recommended on the WL web site, but it still doesn't seem =
to work=20
as advertised.&nbsp; I'll gladly pay the $29.00 for the production =
driver if I=20
can get the eval to work.&nbsp; Of course, I'd prefer if WL could drive =
LPT port=20
accessories without third-party drivers.&nbsp; We old CT/NA/TR veterans =
have a=20
lot of gadgets that use these signals for station =
automation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I configured Direct IO to allow WL to =
get to=20
LPT1.&nbsp; I even tried disabling the default LPT driver, to no =
avail.&nbsp;=20
The Direct IO utilities seem to suggest that the driver is there and=20
accessible.&nbsp; Why can't WL see the LPT port?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>AN ALTERNATIVE?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It appears WL can actually eliminate =
much of the=20
need for a DX Doubler or Array Solutions SO2R Master, but I don't know =
how to=20
switch CW keying across the two radios without an external switch =
device.&nbsp;=20
RTTY and SSB can be done SO2R without the DXD.&nbsp; Maybe I just need =
to dig=20
more to learn how to do CW.&nbsp; RTTY and SSB can key each XCVR =
independently,=20
using VOX, but CW annd PTT seem tied to one COM port only.&nbsp; Someone =
please=20
correct me if I'm wrong.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm sure I'll have more questions later =
as I keep=20
digging into this.&nbsp; Hopefully, I'll eventually have some answers =
for the=20
next generation of WL neophytes!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>VY 73 de Glenn =
K3PP</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000B_01C1A045.17945830--