[WriteLog] Byterunner USB-4COM-110V Experience ??

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Byterunner USB-4COM-110V Experience ??
From: jbrannig@optonline.net (Jim Brannigan)
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:46:27 -0500
I tried SIIG and a no name PCI 2port cards in this DELL running WINMe.  No
Joy, so I went with a Belkin USB-Serial box.
I had 2-way RFI problems with the USB connection.  Hash into the RX and XMT
RF into the USB port.
Finally, I tried a Byterunner 2 port serial card and so far, so good.
Good luck
Jim

> Damon,
>   The Byterunner PCI card is my next choice if it doesn't look like the
usb
> adapter is going to work but am still worried about conflicts with the PCI
> card. I bought a no-name 2 port serial card (PCI) locally and could not
get
> it to work in W2K (my primary OS) or W98. In W98 the card driver installed
> and the ports showed up ok but the PC locks up whenever I try to access
the
> ports. Port configuration appears normal and I can change the settings but
> it dows not help. In W2K the driver installed ok too but for some reason
it
> chooses a wierd memory location for the ports and that location is not
> available. Problem is, it won't let me change the memory location to what
it
> would normally be for additional serial ports. May just be a driver
problem
> but this card is so generic it doesn't have a name on it so I can try and
> chase down a newer driver! Hopefully I will be a little smarter next time.
>   Kind of like the idea of the external USB adapter since slots are
getting
> pretty precious on the new motherboards but if it won't work we'll just
have
> to keep plugging away until we find a solution.
>   Thanks for your info.
>
> Mike / W8DN
>
> > I use the Byterunner (VScom PCI-800)  which gives 8 additional serial
> ports.
> > It works quite well in Win98 and in Redhat Linux version 7.1  In Win98
> there
> > was some problem in getting the board installed properly.  I had to
> manually
> > change the address space (in the Win98 System Hardware Setup) that the
> board
> > uses because it conflicted with the address space used by my USR 56K PCI
> > modem board.
> >
> > Of course, the software must be able to see the extra available ports.
> Many
> > 32 bit applications are written to allow that.  I do not know about
timing
> > issues.   I am using the board for reading and writing to the RS-232
> > interface of my 1000MP for Writelog and Logic 5 and also to control a
HAL
> > RTTY modem.  It also works fine in Hotsyncing with my Palm Vx device in
> Win98
> > and Linux.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Damon   W7MD
> > Tucson, AZ
> >
> > On Thursday 24 January 2002 05:47 pm, Mike Rhodes wrote:
> > >   Wondering if anyone has had occassion to play with the above
mentioned
> > > Byterunner USB to 232 converter ($125) or its siblings? I have the
4S/2P
> > > ISA card from Byterunner (TC-420) but can't seem to get it running
since
> > > went to a 40gig HD with a PCI ATA100 adapter. Suspect the ATA card is
> the
> > > culprit but apparently eliminating the ATA card is not just a matter
of
> > > swapping the cable back to the onboard IDE controller - at least it
> didn't
> > > work the one time I tried it.
> > >   I'm thinking (hoping) that the onboard serial ports could be used
for
> the
> > > packet TNC and FSK/CW connections and the USB>232 ports would be ok
for
> rig
> > > control, modem, PK232 TU, and whatever else I can think to hook up
> (rotor
> > > control someday). I know there have been issues mentioned in the past
> but
> > > think a lot of it was around 5 vs 8 level and response times.
Hopefully