[WriteLog] Computer Radio Interface, Yaesu FT1000D : CW Keying line?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Computer Radio Interface, Yaesu FT1000D : CW Keying line?
From: don.wsixffh@verizon.net (Donald Eriksen)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 22:56:40 -0800
Hi Barry - I've built and use two different circuits for my 1000D, both work
equally well. The rig control (CAT) circuit came from QST for Jan. 1992,
page 91. It's elegantly simple, I built it on perfboard in a DB25 female
connector (you've probably seen pictures of that type of construction). It
uses a MAX233 IC and a 7805 regulator for 5V. and that's all. Problem was,
it didn't work until I called Yaesu and found out I needed a 2.7k resistor
from pin 2 of the rig side (serial out) to ground. This one uses an external
12 volt supply .

The other one I use for FSK keying is from the ARRL publication "Personal
Computers in the Ham Shack",  page 5-21 if you have access to one.
It uses a MAX231 and has a few more parts, but as I remember, it didn't need
the extra reststor (I could be wrong and could look if you opt for that one.
This one takes it's 12 volts to the regulator from the RTS pin of the
computer. But I elected to use an external 12 volt supply since I used one
on the other circuit anyway.

The last one has the extra OPTIONAL transistor switch for connecting to the
radio CW key input that you described. I don't use the lead, it's just
bundled and tied off. You could leave it out if you don't think you'll use
it.

You see lots of warnings to use opto-isolators for safety  for rig level
changing, but I could never get them to work with the 1000D. If you're
careful in constructing them watch for potential shorts etc. you'll have no
problem.

Hope I didn't bore you with all this.

73, Don W6FFH
don.wsixffh@verizon.net