[WriteLog] To RIGBlaster Users

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] To RIGBlaster Users
From: cfullgraf@sprynet.com (Chuck Fullgraf)
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 22:28:08 -0400
As someone who is new to WriteLog and RTTY, here is what I did progressing
into digital modes.

About a year ago, PSK31 sparked an interest in the digital modes and I
elected to buy the Rigblaster Nomic, in part because of its low cost. The
Rigblaster has performed well and I have no complaints. As I dabbled in
other digital modes and bought WriteLog, I decided that AFSK was not the way
to go since my 756Pro has the abilty to run FSK. I could use the RTTY
decoder in the radio to help with my tuning as well as compare the signals
received by the computer. Way cool! Using AFSK, this is not possible since
the radio is set to side band, not RTTY.

Besides, reception was better on RTTY with the radio set in RTTY mode.

I looked at the RigBlaster Plus and about the same time, the reflector had a
series of posts from folks who built transistor interfaces for running FSK,
forgoing the isolation provided by the RigBlaster Plus.

I decided to build the interface and go that route as opposed to spending
money on the RigBlaster Plus. With the accessory port in the back of the
756Pro, I could hook up the sound card for PSK32 and SSTV as well as
receiving RTTY. Then I could use the pin in the accessory port to run FSK.

So far, no problems. I did put isolation transformers in the audio lines,
but the FSK is not isolated. Also, I built the interface so that I could
easily disconnect the computer from the radio for operating other modes (I
can use this particular computer for VHF packet, if necessary) or If I feel
that I am having some ground loop problems.

One advantage to the accessory port on the 756Pro is the audio line is
independnet of the volume control on the radio. It is easier to adjust the
volume of the sound card since there is only one control and I get to listen
to the signals if I want to. I find the latter useful for gross tuning of
RTTY signals. Maybe over time, I won't need the crutch, but it is nice now.

Chuck, KE4OAR

> I've been waiting for replies to this one, but none so far.  I am also
> interested in what advantages a Rigblaster or Rigblaster Plus has over
> a standard homebrew interface.
>
> Although not announced here, I have created a tutorial on my web site
> called "Getting Started on RTTY" at www.aa5au.com/rtty.  In these pages,
> I have tried to show how to get started on RTTY using MMTTY.
>
> Since creating the pages, the #1 question I'm getting is about the use of
> a Rigblaster, mainly the Rigblaster Plus.  Although I've seen them at
Dayton