[WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] Multi-port serial boards

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Re: [RTTY] Multi-port serial boards
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (K4SB)
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 16:12:35 +0000
Barry wrote:

> Alan,
> Thanks for the info. In my opinion, creating a new computer to support
> obsolete technology is analogous to the tail wagging the dog. Since the
> biggest pain in the a.. of getting a new computer is reinstalling all the
> software and setting the preferences as before, I want it to last for a
> good number of years.  The only way to do that is buying state of the
> art, and upgrading various compnents along the way.
> These will, unfortunately, include the ISA components, which are
> Byterunner 4 COM port board and the Hal P-38 (and 4 32MB SIMMs).
> 73 Barry

Well, of course this is a matter of opinion, but I would want to take
friendly exception to Barry on a couple of points.

First of all, new technology is not analogous to better. I have a 4 port
ISA board complete (along with a HD and floppy driver ) with 2 LPT ports
on it. ALL ports 6 ports may be configured using any address, and any
IRQ. It must be at least 5-10 years old, and it runs like a champ. Also,
ISA boards do not require MB resources to run, so a slower machine would
in effect run faster than if a PCI card were used..

As to reinstalling all the software, what happened to the old HD? But if
you upgraded to a faster larger HD, which I think is a good idea, you
can just purchase a copy of Norton Ghost at about $40 and do a complete
transfer of the old HD in about 4-5 mins. And unless your kids have a
gizillion games on your hamshack machine, a 8 GB HD will do perfectly
well. I would however, support the faster 7200 RPM 80pin HDS going for
about $120 in the 20 GB range.

Please note that both Barry and I do not apply these opinions to XYLs.

):>
Ed