[WriteLog] Resolution of problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Resolution of problems
From: n2rd@arrl.net (Rajiv Dewan, N2RD)
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 01:18:01 -0000
With a lot of help from you all, I have resolved my problems.  A
recap, that may help others, follows:

BTW: System 450 MHz PIII, Windows ME, 512Mb of RAM

1.  One of three symptoms:
  ** Old version 10.32E kept showing up despite fresh install of
10.33C
 or ** Media Error when installing from files extracted to the hard
disk.
 or ** Try deleting all files in the directory and delete fails
    It turns out that all of these are caused by the same issue: One
or more of the files in the c:/ham/programs directory was locked as I
had just exited WL and the flag had not been cleared, i.e, it remained
locked.
Soln: Reboot the machine and tried again - successfully.

2.  System did not remember the rig setup
     Soln: Save log first time before saving config and reboot before
trying again.

The second problem was especially frustrating.  I first had this
problem with 10.32E which also had other port problems.  The consensus
seemed to be that upgrade to 10.33 would solve it.  To my surprise, it
did not.  The first time I ran 10.33C, I had the same problem.

Both these problems seem to have something to do with the brain dead
way file locking in implemented on Windows ME.

Windows ME users beware.

=====
A simple rule:  If you have been running WL and want to install an
upgrade or a new version, reboot first.
======

Hope this helps others.

Regards,
Rajiv Dewan, N2RD
I regret that I do not accept any e-mail from:
 yahoo.com, hotmail.com, lycos.com and excite.com
 becasue of excessive spam mail from these domains.