[WriteLog] KAM Transmit on RTTY?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] KAM Transmit on RTTY?
From: jay@ieway.com (Jay)
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:05:56 +0000
At 09:23 PM 7/3/02 -0500, Don Hill AA5AU wrote:
>Something else that pops into mind is something about the cable used.  I
>remember I used to go into a 25 pin serial port on my old computer.  If I
>used a cable that was pin-for-pin connected all the way through, it would
>not work.  However, if I used a cable that had only the essential wires
needed,
>then it worked.  Are you using a 25 pin or 9 pin serial port on your
computer?

A couple of other things to check are under Windows Control Panel. Serial
Devices. Both the FLOW Control and in particular under the advanced TAB the
FIFO settings. Use NO FIFO instead of a high number.  I would suggest
trying HARDWARE and/or XON instead of
none under FLOW.

The reason its dropping char's is most likely a timing issue as the KAM has
a bunch of overhead and if you have too much buffering it will never catch
up.  My old KAGOLD manual suggests that hardware lines need to be
configured. That's what Don is I'm sure talking about in his cable
discussion. 3 wire serial hookup is not adaquete for the KAM.  You need 1-8
and 20. You can assert CTS by installing a 5K resistor between pin 4 and
pin 5.