[WriteLog] Cabrillo confusion

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Cabrillo confusion
From: bob@cytanet.com.cy (Bob Henderson)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:22:47 -0000
 I too am concerned about my Cabrillo file for the IARU test.  Can anyone
shed some definitive light on this subject?

So far as I can determine the layout of the Cabrillo file produced by WL
matches the layout specified at www.kkn.net/~trey/cabrillo/  for the IARU
contest.

The specified layout is bereft of scoring and multiplier detail but Dave
K4JRB has confirmed that the Cabrillo log checking engine used by the judges
will correctly score logs based on the prescribed format.  So I guess that
is ok.

The one thing still causing me concern is that the Cabrillo output file does
not mark duplicates.  Now, given that a duplicate contact occurs because the
station worked believes I am not in his log whereas I believe we have
already worked, these QSO's need to remain in the log .  If I delete
duplicates then I maybe deleting the only valid contact I had with a
station.  BUT the IARU rules are very specific in that rule 13 stipulates
that for electronic logs a one-QSO penalty will be assessed for a miscopied
call sign or a duplicate QSO claimed for QSO credit.

This looks like a Catch 22 to me.  Leave the QSOs in and get a Rule 13
penalty assessed.  Take 'em out and risk removing valid QSOs!!!!!

It seems the course of least risk is for me to manually remove the
first QSO of any duplicate pair on the basis the station called me a second
time because he was convinced we didn't work first time around.  Problem
here is that if the station finds our first QSO when he unravels his log at
the end of the contest then there is no certainty he would delete our first
QSO from his log.  He might easily delete the second QSO.

The BIG question is: Should Writelog have marked duplicates as such
in the Cabrillo output file?

73

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM