[WriteLog] Rig Control Problems

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Rig Control Problems
From: karl@b3b0p.com (karl@b3b0p.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 21:13:10 -0400 (EDT)
Sorry for the long post but I'm at wits end.

My writelog/Icom 761/windows 2000 combination that has worked so well has
gone kaput for rig control.  Out of the clear blue I can no longer read
frequency or mode on writelog.  The rig control and frequency/mode read
capabilities on DX4win remain working FB so I doubt it is the radio or the
CT-17.

Writelog does see the rig but reads it wrong, and differently depending on
which window I have open.

I can do this little routine where I have the radio on CW and the fequency
button shows no frequency but does say LSB.  I open the frequency button and
close it, without changing anything, and the button still shows no frequency
but now it does say CW.  Then I open the setup-ports window and while I have
the window open it reads the correct frequency and says CW.  Then, without
me changing anything, when I close that window the frequency button goes
back to no frequency and LSB.

AARRRGH.

Several times I have uninstalled writelog, deleted the ini file and the key
file in the Wintt folder then deleted the Ham directory and reinstalled
writelog and the problem will not go away.  I even bought the latest upgrade
thinking that the version I was using was corrupt.  To no avail.

Are there some other writelog files stashed somewhere that could be messing
me up that don't get deleted in an uninstall?  Even after I uninstall and
delete everything I can find that has anything to do with writelog, when I
reinstall and then go to setwup-great circle it already has my longitude and
latitude there without me entering it.  Where ever that is coming from,
could there be something else there that is causing me problems?

My next step will be to format the disk.  That is no great fun and the
programs reinstallation process takes a full day to accomplish (or more if
the kids have misplaced all the program CDs again).  I hate doing that.

Anybody have any ideas before I take that next step???(or perhaps take to
drink instead)