[WriteLog] CT-17 replacement

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CT-17 replacement
From: jeflanders@comcast.net (Jerry Flanders)
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 15:07:48 +0000
Below is something I posted to one of the rec.radio usegroups a year ago.
It has been working FB with my 756PRO for almost a year now.

The programming kit is made by RT Systems (alabama) for Yaesu, but RT also
sells them direct, and you can check RT systems web site for a wide variety
of programming kits in case you have another brand of HT - getting the kit
might be a good idea if it can do "double-duty" for you as it does for me.

Looks like they put the same little hardware translator in several
programming kits. They also sell the cable specifically for the ICOM, but
actually charge more for the cable alone than I paid for the whole kit!

Jerry
Subject: Yaesu's ADMS-1D cable substitutes for ICOM CT-17 CI-V box

I needed to control /read my new ICOM 756PRO from WriteLog, and have
been able to get the above cable working between the standard serial
port of my computer and the input jack on the radio by only adding a
Radio Shack 274-368 (1/8 inch stereo plug to 1/8 inch mono jack -
$1.99).

With the RS adapter plug, the cable functions as if it were the CT-17,
except that it only has one radio connector instead of the CT-17's 4.

Details: The ADMS-1D is a cheapie package (I paid $30 new 2 years ago)
from Yaesu which contains software for programming some of the Yaesu
radios (including my VX-1R) along with a cable to connect from the
computer to the radio. The main cable includes an extension/adapter
cable to allow the package to work with Yaesu radios having
4-conductor mini earphone/data sockets as well as 3 conductor ones. In
addition, the cable includes a bidirectional level translator inside
the DB-9 which converts to/from TTL levels.

Before trying with the radio, I plugged the cable into the serial port
and read the cable's signal levels with a VOM and determined that the
signal was on the center ring of the 3-pin plug and the common was on
the base, and also verified that the tip was not connected to
anything. Opening up the db-9 verifies that only two wires are used.

The Radio Shack adapter plug is intended to convert stereo phones to
mono by paralleling the ring and tip signals from the jack and
connecting them to the tip of the mono plug. Just what I needed to
"move" the signal to the tip of the adapter, where it plugs into the
756PRO.

It works, and there is no mod or change to the cable - I can still use
it when needed with the VX-1R radio just by unplugging the cable from
the RS adapter plug and inserting it into the 4-conductor
extension/adapter cable. Been going several days now with the 756PRO -
no problems.

Jerry W4UK