Fw: [WriteLog] CW numeric abbreviations

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [WriteLog] CW numeric abbreviations
From: bob@cytanet.com.cy (Bob Henderson)
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 20:43:41 -0000
You guys do surprise me.  These are not new fangled abbreviations.  My
recollection is that T has been used for zero and N for nine by most
contesters for decades.  Granted A for one is a little less common.  Think
about it, these abbreviations were a life saver when in a 48 hour event
using a hand key, likewise a mechanical bug.  Just imagine how much they
eased the strain.  Full form zero and nine have only really returned in
force to the sending of serial numbers since the introduction of computers
into contesting.

Perhaps ANT might be a little befuddling for the novice but listen at the
start of any serial number based CW contest and you will hear a whole bunch
of stations sending 5NN TT1 and maybe even a few sending 5NN TTA.  Believe
me you don't need to hear this stuff often to understand what it means.

Anyway I'd really appreciate knowing if there is a way to get serial numbers
to be sent this way.  So if anyone knows whether it can be done in WL please
let me know.

Thanks

73

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM