[WriteLog] Need recommendation for sound card

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Need recommendation for sound card
From: wa9als@starband.net (wa9als)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 06:37:19 -0500
> My new HP 2.4 GHz Pavilion came with a Sound Blaster Live 5.1 card.   It
> does not look like it will work well with WriteLog or DX4WIN - As I
> recall one needs both a line in / line out and another port for
> speakers...

Peter, I'd be shocked (and depressed) if the above is true.  We already have
enough problems that new computers are coming with only 1 motherboard serial
port, but soundcards without basic I/O would really take the cake!  I can't
believe that a Soundblaster Live model can't be configured for WL and
DX4WIN.  "LINE OUT" is usually just the SPEAKER output.  I would say that
"normal" or "usual" configuration for a soundcard would be 3 ports: LINE IN,
MIC, and LINE OUT (AKA SPEAKER).  LINE OUT could also be labeled HEADPHONE,
especially on a laptop.  Some have a 4th port as well, but I can't believe
that your card doesn't have the basic 3.  Please look again and let us know.

> What would you recommend that I replace it with in this day & age to
> have good single op service with both programs and decent audio in the
> shack is CD's etc.  Must be PCI.

I'll bet you have a good card already, but if not for any reason, I
recommend a $30 Soundblaster 16 PCI or the Soundblaster Live! Value card.
The latter will be more expensive, and I don't think it will improve your
ham functions noticeably at all.  Some other options are on my WriteLog
soundcard page at http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/sound_results.htm.  As you can
see, I think think ALL of these "work" with WriteLog, and essentially all of
them get the highest score for the highly discriminating WriteLog Soundcheck
program.

If you end up installing another sound card, keep the old one too -
See http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/so2r-mmttyx2.htm  There are some interesting
things you can do with 2 or more, including using 1 for Windows things and
the other for your radio!

Good luck - 73
John - WA9ALS - VP5RY (2001)

VP5 photos:  http://www.qsl.net/wa9als/vp5photos.htm