[RTTY] AW: [WriteLog] Win98->Win XP?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] AW: [WriteLog] Win98->Win XP?
From: hamcat@directvinternet.com (K4SB)
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:02:03 +0000
What a great bunch of replies! Barry, if you don't mind, I'm going to
snip your reply a little.

Barry wrote:
> While there are a few software options to move programs, I found none
> satisfactory.
> One, as I recall, will copy everything, without letting you deselect stuff...

This is probably the Norton "Ghost" Barry is recalling. It WILL make
an EXACT copy of the old HD, everytime. And that includes WL. And ANY
program which ran on the old HD will run on the new one. However,
before using it to "ghost" the HD, I would remove junk
from the old HD.

On the down side, the 98 regristry is probably filled with a
tremendous amount of junk, and that gets copied also. But, the
"copied" HD will do everything the old one did.

If the HD is then upgraded to XP, any program which will not then run
is simply incompatible with XP. For example, I use MSOFFICE 97 here
for Word and Excel. I have no idea if they are compatible with XP, or
whether you'd have to buy a newer version.
 -----------
> Bottom line, it was well worth the afternoon or so selectively
> reinstalling just what I wanted, and not transferring a bunch of junk
> or outdated programs.

And, this is most likely the very best solution, but I think I would
try "ghosting" the old one first, and if I had a lot of problems, just
reformat the new one and follow Barry's advice.

Now, NortonSystemworks 2001 does have a "registry cleaner", and it
does a great job.
But, it still doesn't remove some registry entries in 98. I don't do
"chat rooms, news services, and such", and therefore do a custom
install of Netscape, but I still find the registry has a large number
of entries which 2001 will not let you remove. Oddly enough,
NortonSystemworks 2002 doesn't have this feature.

And by all means, if this is intended to be a "hamshack" machine, do a
custom install
of XP.

Lastly, as Barry said, save your "bookmarks, ect. on a floppy, and
then just overwrite the XP bookmarks.

All in all, excellent posts from several..

73
Ed