[RTTY] AW: [WriteLog] Win98->Win XP?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] AW: [WriteLog] Win98->Win XP?
From: w2up@mindspring.com (Barry )
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:37:18 -0400
I agree with Chris. I went thru the new computer Win98->XP
transition several months ago. While there are a few software
options to move programs, I found none satisfactory. One, as I
recall, will copy everything, without letting you deselect stuff you
don't want. Another will copy 10-20 "major apps" (MSOffice, IE,
etc.) but nothing else. I guess Wayne didn't have enough pull to get
WL included in the major app category :.)
Bottom line, it was well worth the afternoon or so selectively
reinstalling just what I wanted, and not transferring a bunch of junk
or outdated programs. With several of the apps I did transfer, there
were ways to copy/export the personalization I made on the old
computer, with a little editing here and there (DX4WIN, WL, IE
bookmarks, Quicken files, etc.) OTOH, there were a few programs I
tried to install on WinXP that just wouldn't work.
Barry W2UP