[WriteLog] Band Data on a Parallel Port

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Band Data on a Parallel Port
From: bob@cytanet.com.cy (Bob Henderson)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 04:14:28 -0000
Don

You are correct.  Band data in Yaesu format (4-bit parallel) is available
from a parallel port.  What you can do is direct radio data from a specific
comm port to your chosen parallel port.  E.g.. radio data from comm 1 to
LPT1 and from com 2 to LPT2.  I used this sometime ago with my 870 and a
home made band decoder.  At the time I had problems because the band data
implementation in WL was tied to actual band edges creating a rather
catastrophic set of circumstances when I tuned my mult rig down 20m rather
too enthusiastically and got to 13.999 MHz.  At the same time I was calling
CQ on 15m.  Band data for my mult radio filters disappeared and so did my
front end.  Wayne has since widened the band edge definitions for band data
so that problem should now be gone.

A residual concern I had is that a computer glitch may cause loss of band
data producing a similarly catastrophic result.  It was that which persuaded
me to make a small mod to my 870 to provide direct filter and antenna switch
control.  In the end I feel more at ease with this k.i.s.s. type of
approach.

73

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM