[WriteLog] Writelog and mmtty hangs

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Writelog and mmtty hangs
From: ve3ey@rac.ca (Nick Lekic)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 02:35:10 -0400
Hi everyone.

We are having some problems with Writelog/MMTTY in WW/RJ contest this
weekend.

Our setup is:
Dell Latitude CPI laptop PII 266Mhz with 192 Mb or RAM
Win 2000
Writelog 10.35
MMTTY 1.62 plug-in in FSK mode
ft1000mp + Rigblaster Plus

Occasionally , when we try to transmit with Writelog, mmtty would just
key the transmitter and produce continuos tone for several seconds
before it transmits the actual message.  Sometimes it happens several
times in a row  and sometimes it works for hours without trouble.  First
I thought it is RF related problem but it seems that the MMTTY itself is
acting up.

I was watching Windows task manager while working in the contest.
Normally, MMTTY would on average use about 10 % of CPU time.
Intermittently, when I hit the F key (doesn't matter which one), mmtty
would key the radio, freeze for few seconds and hog the entire CPU time
100 %.  Only mmtty.exe process does this.   All other processes appear
to be OK in the task manager.  Once mmtty comes back to life, everything
seems normal.

This is not that much of an issue when calling CQ but in S&P mode, when
new mult comes back to you through the pileup and you send him continuos
carrier back instead of RST, this is when thing turn bad.

73, Nick
ve3ey

VE3NE M/S team in WW/RJ contest.