[WriteLog] CQWW RTTY

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] CQWW RTTY
From: garry@ni6t.com (Garry Shapiro)
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 08:08:12 -0000

> > Surely this is not the way this works! Send a CQ from the main
> WL screen,
> > click on the RTTYWrite window to see who answers, click back to main WL
> > screen to send the exchange, click again to RTTYWrite to see
> the response,
> > jump between to clean up the log entry and enter the QSO? And then do it
> all
> > over again for the next QSO?
>
> There, there, don't fret!  No, rest assured it doesn't work that way.  You
> must be covering up your Rttyrite screen when you're in the
> logging window?
> UNdock most, if not all, of the windows so they are free of the
> main logging
> window.  You should keep the cursor in the ENTRY area most of the
> time, and
> still be able to see the Rttyrite window.

OK, I resized the WL window, to about 2/3 of the display and scrunched the
RTTYWrite window in the other 1/3, along with the packet/telnet window. I
think when you talk about "undocking" windows, you refer to clicking on the
captive, snap-to-grid monstrosities to make them actual separate windows. I
did that, but they seem to want to run back to mama. I finally got rid of
the ones that were not doing much, sized the others, and was able to make
the whole mess work. That subject needs to be revisited at leisure.

With the above arrangement, life did indeed get much simpler and more
enjoyable, for which much thanks.

 Callsign highlighting
> is working
> just swell for me, but I have Don's SuperCheckPartial file.

I gathered from the RTTYWrite Help file that RTTYWrite looks for "DE" and a
space and presumes what follows is a callsign. But it appears that it looks
to see if what follows is in the CheckPartial or SuperCheckPartial files,
and picks what is closest. That being the case, an up-to-date
SuperCheckPartial file would appear to be essential. Next time...

> > The little packet/telnet window is a joke...or is it? Can the
> .ini file be
> > modified to offer a choice of telnet nodes? Can't see how. I put a stack
> of
> > addresses in the .ini file, but WL takes the first one it comes to, and
> > ignores the others. Can you click on a spot and have the radio go there?
> > Can't see how. But DX4WIN, which is not a contesting program, does these
> > things.
>
> You can specify what nodes you like - I'm a little too tired to remember
> right now, and I use DX Telnet, but there's a file in the Program
> folder (I
> think), that's named something like tcp/dat - You can modify that with a
> text editor and then you will see your favorite choices to choose from.

I'll check that out after the contest.

> If you ever decide to use DXT with WL, check out Don's pages and also mine
> at www.qsl.net/wa9als/dxtelnet.htm.

I have planned to do that.

> > OK, OK I haven't camped out on the K9JY and AA5AU websites. But
> I did not
> > wait until 30 minutes before the contest, either. :-)
>
> Is there something wrong with waiting 30 min before the contest
> to do stuff?
> ;-))

Not if history is any indicator....

> > Just point me in the general direction of the answers--I am not
> averse to
> > reading. But it should not take more research than an advanced degree.
>
> I have several advanced degrees, but I'm still very dense when it comes to
> this stuff!
>
> > Thanks in advance. I am having fun in the contest--but my wrist aches.
>
> My EVERYTHING aches, and it's only Friday night!
>
> Hang in there - WriteLog's the best!  If it seems hard, you just haven't
> learned how to do it easy yet.
> 73 - John (WA9ALS)

Unfortunately, I missed Saturday morning. But I have 16 hours in, and over
400K, so I am having fun. There is a lot of activity this weekend!