[WriteLog] Codecs

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Codecs
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:29:32 -0500
I had working Windows Media pLayer, and MPEG Layer-3 choice in WriteLog
compression options, but the WL compression didn't work.  I had the
Fraunhofer IIS MPEG Layer-3 Codec as #12 in the Audio Compresssion codecs.
I changed it to #1, and it didn't make any difference with WriteLog, so I
changed it back to #12.

Then, interestingly, I tried to play an MP3 file with Windows Media Player,
and it wanted to contact Microsoft to download the Fraunhofer codec!  I let
it do that, and the MP3 file played fine.  HOWEVER, going back to WriteLog,
now the MPEG Layer-3 choice doesn't even appear in the list of choices!
Maybe if I reboot WL can find it.

I do have Goldwave on my machine, and it saves to MP3 just fine, so it
probably installed its own codec(s).  Nothing in the list is obviously tied
to Goldwave though, so short of deleting them all and starting fresh, it's
not clear how to proceed.

Figuring this out would make a nice web page for someone...