[WriteLog] ptt resistance (part 2)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] ptt resistance (part 2)
From: gbaron@charter.net (Gil Baron)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 06:53:18 -0600
K4SB [hamcat@directvinternet.com] SAID to me

Well, I don't know if writelog does it, but if you just boot into
windows, you will find that RTS is Positive, and DTR is negative. Put
a voltmeter on the pin to ground to see it.

73
Ed

>From the RS232 Specs:

Interface Electrical

All signals are measured in reference to a common ground, which is called
the signal ground (AB). A positive voltage between 3 and 15 Vdc represents a
logical 0 and a negative voltage between 3 and 15 Vdc represents a logical
1.
This switching between positive and negative is called bipolar. The zero
state is not defined in RS232 and is considered a fault condition (this
happens when a device is turned off).
According to the above a maximum distance of 50 ft or 15 m. can be reached
at a maximum speed of 20k bps. This is according to the official
specifications, the distance can be exceeded with the use of Line
Drivers.Functional description

As you can see all signals use the same levels for logical one and zero and
MOST IMPORTANT the zero state is UNDEFINED. That means that you must live
with whatever you get when not running anything and THE PROGRAM must use
logical 0 to mean 1 and logical 1 to mean zero. Since almost all the radios
are set up using an NPN transistor with + into the base to key the radio so
that the output goes low means that he program has to reverse the logic. My
ports all have +12 when nothing is on them but they could just as well have
0 or minus 10 or whatever. This strange spec of the RS232 causes endless
confusion :-)