[WriteLog] Help with networked log under W2K

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Help with networked log under W2K
From: dick.green@valley.net (Dick Green)
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 08:54:44 -0500
Jim,

If at all possible, I wouldn't mix operating systems in a Writelog network.
I did this for the 8P8P M/S operation in CQ WW SSB and really regretted it.
We had two Windows 98 machines and one Win2K machine. The user ID thing was
annoying, but not the primary problem. The real issue was network
reliability. We had many outages, ranging from no communication between the
different copies of WL to loss of packet. Sometimes restarting WL worked,
other times running the NetSetV9 or NetsetupNT app worked, and other times
we had to reboot. We lost packet a lot. At 10-minute rates of up to 488/hr,
the op on the run machine naturally refused to allow exit from WL or reboot
to fix it, handicapping the mult radio. We estimate at least a half hour
lost to repair network problems, maybe more. Once I was awakened a couple of
hours after a long overnight shift to fix the network. That was the low
point! We still set the NA record and came in second (so far), but perhaps
we'd have won the world without these problems.

It's certainly possible that RFI caused glitches in the network hardware,
but I'm suspicious of problems between the different versions of the network
protocols on the different operating systems. If you determine that a mixed
network is OK, I'd sure like to know.

Another issue is just getting the network up and running in the first place.
I've had lots of problems getting Win95 and Win98 machines connected to
Win2K. The problem seems to be confusion over automatic assignment of IP
addresses. I think if the Win95/98 machine has been in a network without the
Win2K machine before, or used a different DHCP server, it uses the wrong
method for getting an IP address. I found a way around this with the
WINIPCFG app in the Windows directory. I don't know if it's on Win95, but it
is on Win98. You can use this app to renew or release all the IP addresses
on the Win95 machine (reboot after doing this.) That seems to do the trick
in most cases. There's also an app called IPCONFIG on Win2K that will do the
same thing on that end.

If you absolutely must use Win2K, I'd recommend that it not be the network
"server" or packet server. By network server, I mean the machine all the
others link to (that's the recommended method.) Put packet on one of the
Win95 machines and have all the others link to it. One byproduct is that a
login won't be required for packet and when machines reconnect. I'm not sure
if this will eliminate the Win2K logon requirement when machines link to the
network -- I haven't tried it. Let us know. If not, TweakUI sounds like a
great idea. Wish I'd known about it!

BTW, I setup a userID called CONTEST on the Win2K machine with the password
CONTEST, then setup the same ID on the Win98 machines. Logon was required
when booting those machines, when linking to WL and when initiating packet.
The password was  prompted, but the user ID was filled in. In retrospect, I
should have setup the Win98 machines with no password. This is somewhat more
difficult than it sounds (I had to consult Microsoft's Knowledge Base -- you
have to get rid of previous PWD files if the account ever had a password),
and I don't know if it would eliminate the two Writelog logon prompts.

Also if possible, get some ops to help you shake out the network under
simulated fire for an hour or so well before the contest.

If you plan on going M/S, be advised that the clocks in the band change
window don't work. Others have posted on this and I'll be including it in a
list of WL problems encountered at 8P8P when I get a chance.

73, Dick WC1M