[WriteLog] Newbie Question-Is this computer big enough?

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Newbie Question-Is this computer big enough?
From: doncassel@compuserve.com (Don Cassel)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:53:39 -0500
Gary,

For several years I have used a Pentium 133 with Windows 98 SE with Writelog
for all modes..CW, Rtty, PSK and SSB without many problems. If there were
problems it was mostly in intial boot-up which took some time. I made sure
there were no other applications running and with this configuration I could
also have an online packet connection. During a contest as the log became
larger (1000 Qs or more) then a file save would take a second or two.

7000 Qs in a single log seems high and you might be better off to keep
separate logs. Between contests I import my log into DX4Win and have over
40K contacts there. But in Writelog my logs rarely go much over 1K.

I have now upgraded to a PIII 450 for ham work which is really nice. You
could possibly find a used PIII for much less than a new computer.

GL,
Don VE3BUC

I've read many of the threads in the achives, but one huge question still
remains for me before I plunk down the bucks.

The computer I am currently using in the shack is an old Pentium-II 200MHz
MMX machine with 128MB of memory. It is running Windows 98SE.  It has a SB16
sound card and 8MB video card and lots of ports, serial, parallel and USB.

My question is whether this machine is sufficient to run WL both on phone
with using the sound card for voice memories and for CW without any hardware
CW card add-on?  I would anticipate CW speeds up to about 40WPM, if that
matters, and log sizes up to about 7000 Qs, if that is important, with an
LAN-based internet connection to acquire and send spots.

Or do I need to have something with more ooomph?

Thanks and 73,

Gary W2CS
Apex, NC

multipart/alternative