[WriteLog] Operating system--followup (motherboard)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Operating system--followup (motherboard)
From: shr@ricc.net (W0UN--John Brosnahan)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:16:04 -0600
I certainly appreciate all of the comments about operating systems
from everyone.  Since, at this point I have an unused Win 2000 pro
CD, I have to decided to run 2000 rather than XP.  I can always
change at a later date if I have too many problems--but most
indicated it was relatively hassle-free.

For a lot of reasons I am caught between the goals of the latest
equipment (and software) and legacy compatibility.  I have done
a lot of hardware research recently on motherboards and it looks
to me like the best compromise (one foot in each camp--new and
legacy) is the Soyo   SY-K7VTA Pro motherboard.  So I plan on
using one of these in the new dedicated logging system.  (Don't
know why it has a ham call sign part number!)

Won't bore you with all of the technical details--you can see them
at   http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=38
and can be purchased from a number of vendors including Tiger Direct.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=S450-2005

The ATX MB handles AMD Athlons to 2100+ (one place I saw says
2600+--but not sure about that).

This board has five PCI slots and an AGP slot up to 4X, but most
important for the legacy lovers it still has one ISA slot (shared with a
PCI slot.

It also has four USB ports (unfortunately not USB 2.0) but it also has
two SERIAL (16550) ports and one parallel (SPP/EPP/ECP) port.

And on-board audio--but no video.  The rest of the board is pretty standard
state-of-the-art from a year ago.  200/266 FSB, up to 1.5 GB of SDRAM,
PC133/100, up to PIO mode 4, Ultra DMA 33/66/100, and FCC Class B
certification.

Looks like the only board that straddles both worlds reasonably well and
it only costs about $85.

Just thought someone might find this board of interest to balance old and
new IO and old and new slots.  Looks like a pretty good compromise.

73 and thanks for all of the OS input.

--John   W0UN