[WriteLog] Friend file

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Friend file
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 10:46:36 -0500
> There's been some discussion in the past, maybe on the RTTY reflector,
> about how some may think it's a waste of time.  I suppose if you are
running
> well over 1000 Q's in a RTTY contest that it might affect the outcome a
little
> bit, but I for one, am very happy to see someone come back to me with my
> name.  I can remember many times when I called and someone came back,
> I did not get my call, but saw my name and the report.  I then knew the
report
> was for me and not someone else.  I've seen the value of the friends.ini
file
> and support it's use.

Just some obs from someone who started new to RTTY contesting not that long
ago:

1.  When you first start, seeing the names is a great way to get to know
some of the people in RTTY.
2.  I used it a lot at first, then rarely, as I got [a little] more
competitive.  Now I've found myself using it again sometimes, e.g. to
acknowledge a friend when neither of us is trying to win something etc.
I've made a brief macro like "%RHI %H %E" - Since WL lets you append macros,
I can hit the "HI BUTTON" and then the usual F-key to acknowledge those
people I want to say an extra hi to, but only to those.
3.  You can also personalize the HI file for some very "special" people to
give them a special message.  You gotta keep it to something like 12
characters though or it won't work.

Merry Christmas to All!  73 - John, WA9ALS