[WriteLog] Some thoughts on the "Friend file"

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Some thoughts on the "Friend file"
From: Phil Cooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net (Phil Cooper)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 19:59:40 -0000
Hi all,

Don, I have a reasonable "friend" file, as I have inclued many of the names
from QSL cards, or just "on the air" experience. However, it does include
some names that are NOT current, simply because I didn't want to delete what
was already there.

You are more than welcome to a copy of this file, if it would help in any
way.

Now, as a someone who "plays" in contests, and also uses the friend file, I
have to say that for me, it is a very useful tool.
One simple example is when I get called as G0SUP, which happens a lot. If I
then see HI PHIL, I know it is just a missed letter, and that they have me
logged correctly.
If I don't, but know the caller (eg AA5AU or W2UP), I am quite likely to
assume a missed letter.
But, if the caller is new to me, and there are more and more of those, then
I often have to spend a while correcting the call!
If copy is weak, as can happen, then it can confirm that the garbage you
just saw on screen is you!

Of late, I keep getting called as GI0SAP, which is NOT me, but IS a valid
call, and - I believe - does operate in contests, but not as far as I know,
in RTTY contests.

During WAE, I spent far too much time trying to correct my call. It seemed
to happen more when I was calling CQ, which I find odd, as you would think
that they would have been watching the sequence!

Lastly, I like the friend file because I feel that RTTY is the "friendly"
mode, even in contests!
I frequently have a chat in the middle of a contest, but then again, I am
never likely to win any major trophies!

Basically, if you are going all out to WIN the contest, leave out the friend
file, but if you just want to have fun, meet friends, and enjoy yourself,
then implement the %H! You can still leave out those who don't like it,
which is what I do, so you can tailor it to suit your own needs.
The choice is yours!

I wish you all a very merry Christmas, and a good dx New Year!
See you all in the Roundup!

Very best 73
Phil GU0SUP