[WriteLog] RTTY question

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] RTTY question
From: aa5au@bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 19:43:17 -0600
Check out "Getting Started on RTTY" at www.aa5au.com/rtty.html.

Also, installing the MMTTY plug-in for WriteLog at www.geocities.com/writelog.

FSK is direct on/off keying of the FSK input to the radio.  If you are using
MMTTY
or the MMTTY plug-in for WL, then this on/off keying is done via a COM port
using
an interface as described at http://www.aa5au.com/rttyinterface.html.  The
output of
this circuit gives you on/off or open/short circuit to the input of the FSK
input to the
radio.  If an open to the FSK input results in a SPACE tone, then a short
circuit will
result in a MARK tone or vice versa depending on how the FSK menu setting is in
your
radio (some older radios have FSK polarity switches inside the radio).  Using
FSK
allows you do use the narrow filters in your radio.

AFSK is sending audio from your sound card to an audio input of the radio either
via a mic input or audio input on an accessory jack.  The radio is operated in
the LSB
position (although many Europeans still use USB).

As Zev mentioned, there may be radios that allow you to use audio into your
radio
and it still operate in the RTTY or FSK mode but I'm not familiar with that
setup.

Using FSK or AFSK is simply a matter of choice.  It makes no difference to the
receiving station.  Your signal will be received the same either way.

There are advantages and disadvantages to using either way.

Read "Getting Started on RTTY" and you can then make the choice that is best
for you.
But considering the fine radios you mentioned, I strongly recommend you use FSK
key your radios.

I will be glad to help you with any questions you might have.

73 & looking forward to seeing you in the next RTTY contest!
Don AA5AU