[WriteLog] Of RAID, Drives, warranties, and reliability... (long)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Of RAID, Drives, warranties, and reliability... (long)
From: jjreisert@alum.mit.edu (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Date: Wed Jan 29 10:53:28 2003
I just want to add my 2 cents about warrenties.

No drive manufacturer is going to warrenty your DATA, only the drive hardware
itself.  It's up to YOU to have a copy of your critical data somewhere else in
case the drive ever fails.

I have been very lucky -- I have not lost a drive myself, but I tend to upgrade
every two-three years.  In the shack, I use Iomega Automatic Backup to save
copies of my logbook to a ZIP disk every time a file changes.  In the home
office, I do a nightly automated backup to an identical hard drive.  All of
this started, incidentally, in the last year or so.  I had been living on the
edge up until now.

There's a line from the movie "Tommy Boy" about guarantees that I won't repeat
here.  If you've see the movie, you know what I'm talking about.

73 - Jim AD1C

=====
USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.com
PGP Fingerprint: D8E2 3D78 339F A7F1 8C13  1193 B5D1 4FB6 79D1 70DC