[WriteLog] Of RAID, Drives, warranties, and reliability... (long)

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Of RAID, Drives, warranties, and reliability... (long)
From: ron.stordahl@digikey.com (Ron Stordahl)
Date: Wed Jan 29 11:41:09 2003
I have just caught the tail end of this discussion so go easy on me!

With respect to contesting, I recall that CT wrote a 'log' or perhaps we
could call it a journal to a floppy which could be used to recover in case
of failure.  I always ran that, it even interfered with my CW generation
(when it wrote to the floppy) on the old clunker I was using at the time.
Fortunately I never had to recover.

Ill admit to my ignorance, but apparently Writelog does not provide a
recovery journal?

With regard to backups in general, of course we should all be doing them.
But few do.  For myself I have a second hard drive in most of my machines,
and I occasionally (probably too infrequently) copy my important data to the
second drive.  But it's not automated, I would like to know how to do that.
Since I keep some of my machines on 24/7 I don't see how it would be
possible as critical files will remain assigned to their tasks and either
cannot be accessed or would not be in a stable state to be copied.

For my most important data,  my ham log (HI), I copy it nearly daily to a
little USB 128MB drive I keep on my key chain.  I do this for convenience in
transferring to another machine, but it has also served as backup when I
needed it.

I know the value of regular complete backups...at my company this is done by
high speed tape, we store it all in a walk-in safe and it's been invaluable.
Yet I fail to do this on my personal systems, unless this can be automated
it won't happen.

Ron N5IN