[WriteLog] MMTTY V1.63

To: <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] MMTTY V1.63
From: don.wsixffh@verizon.net (Donald Eriksen)
Date: Thu Jan 30 01:38:15 2003
My apoligies to Jim also for the late post, I had promised him a comparison
report. Also, sorry to all the CW/SSB folks that must be sick of the
RITTY/MMTTY blather, but it is an important discussion for RTTY ops.

My setup is similar to yours, Walt, except I used one computer with my one
receiver's audio going to the two sound cards. I used MMTTY v. 1.63 and
RITTY v. 4.53.

I waited until I used the two programs in the BARTG test to report, but I've
concluded that a contest is not necessarily the best place to compare. The
transmissions are short and the signals usually pretty well above the noise.
(except for the note 1), below)

I made several comparisons of non-contest QSO's that were quite long, and
rotated the beam away to get weak signals. Under most of the very weak
signal conditions MMTTY copied better (less dropped characters).
During the contest, the two programs were about even with two very
pronounced exceptions:

1) On 80 meters with at least S5 noise and very weak signals, (poor antenna
here), MMTTY was practically useless to me. It was dropping characters all
over the place. RITTY, on the other hand was copying nearly perfectly!

2) One signal from a S.A. station ( I wish I remembered the call) had a
weird flutter and MMTTY copied his call repeatedly, while RITTY rarely got
the call right.

I had MMTTY set to the Profile 3 (P3), Fluttered Sigs., (FIR) demod setting
and tried RITTY in both POL and MUL settings.

Please understand I have no axe to grind here, I love both of these
outstanding programs. I would use MMTTY anytime, but I won't stop using
RITTY until it gets so obsolete I can't use it anymore. I'll probably have
both side-by-side in all the contests I run.

Incidently, I only used RITTY for FSK transmit, so I didn't run into any of
the recently reported (and soon to be corrected, I'll bet) problems with
MMTTY v 1.63. I'm looking forward to Don's (AA5AU) beta test of the  new
MMTTY engine.

Thanks for the patience and BW,  Don W6FFH   don.wsixffh@verizon.net